Monday, October 7, 2013

Goodbyes are never easy.

How do you say goodbye to someone you have only known a short time, but who has fundamentally changed your life in ways that most people cannot even understand? How do you just let them walk out of your life while being faced with the very real possibility of never seeing them again at least not in this life? It is a question that I never really pondered before, but now I am being faced with a reality that forces me to ponder it.
As most of you know from reading the many steps I have taken along this amazing Trek, I went from a borderline Atheist/Deist to the waters of Baptism in just a few months. So many people have helped me along this path that it would take to long to list them. However, I would have to say in all honesty that most of that work was done by a very small group of young men.
After the wonderful Sisters met with us for the first few times, they introduced us to Elders Sahagun and Gates who began teaching my wonderful Wife and I about the Church, the Scriptures and the Faith. Sadly, Elder Gates had to leave not long afterward and we still miss him, but we got the joy of adding Elder Brown to our lives so there was joy too.
For months Elders Brown and Sahagun worked with us, taught us and became an incredibly important part of our lives. Literally it got to a point that if they didn't come over on Monday which was their day to teach us, the whole day seemed incomplete. They lovingly and calmly dealt with all of my fears and worries and guided me along this whirlwind trek Home. I literally would not be where I am today without them.
Now I am faced with the prospect of losing one of the Elders. Elder Sahagun has been called to serve someplace else and will be leaving our Ward on Thursday. Words cannot describe how sad that makes me. A young man who told me in complete earnestness that he believed helping me find my way home and be Baptized was one of the reasons God sent him to VA. Can you imagine how humbled I felt when he said that?
I can console myself with the knowledge that where ever he is sent, he will be helping people who need him just like he helped me. I can also take comfort that, at least for the time being, Elder Brown will remain with us to keep us going on the right track. I will miss Elder Sahagun(If for no other reason than I “borrowed” his last name for a funny short story I am writing.) and things are going to seem a lot more quiet around here once he is gone, but I thank God that I had the honor of being his student and hopefully his friend.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment