Thursday, October 24, 2013

Riding with the Missionaries

Last night, I had the privilege of riding with our two amazing Elders to visit some of the folks that they are teaching to help them find their way home again. It was a fantastic experience where we spent over an hour speaking to a wonderful woman and I am richer for the experience. I was there when she picked the date for her Baptism and even jokingly demanded an invitation to which I was assured I would have “a front row seat.”
The trip only reinforced my respect for all our our Missionaries which was already very substantial to begin with. It was cold and windy, but they soldiered on even though both were very uncomfortable. I have seen our Missionaries out in the worst kinds of weather possible doing everything they could to bring help to those who needed it. The first time I met our new Elder, Elder Berg he and Elder Brown had literally walked through soaking rain just to be with us that night. He literally looked like someone had tried to drown him.
I use the word determined a lot when describing the Elders and Sisters of the Church and it is a good solid word for them. Most people, myself included, would look at some of the things they do and think, “I could do that or I could stay in here where it is nice and dry and have some more Coffee Substitute.” Or “Yeah I could go out and try to reach people and help them, but it is cold and nasty outside so I will go tomorrow or the next day.” You don't ever see the Missionaries doing that.
Now I cannot say that the thoughts don't occur to them every now and then. They are human just like the rest of us so I am sure there are days they would much rather stay in bed and sleep than go out in rain/snow to perform their works. However, these brave and determined young men and women move beyond those impulses because they truly believe in the duties they have been given. In an era where so many young people want nothing more than to sit at a computer and play games all day, this ethic borders on the miraculous.
I keep hearing about the missions that I might be able to go on one day in the future and I am both excited and humbled. I am unsure if I can ever show the courage and dedication that I have seen not just in the young Missionaries, but in most of the people I have met in the Church. I am just going to have to keep learning both the lessons and the examples that are being shown to me and Pray that I am up to the task when the time comes.
Once our evening was over with, the Elders seemed surprised when I asked them, “How soon can we do it again?” I am eager to keep learning and growing so I might be worthy of the amazing gifts that have been given to me.
I say these things in the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment